Ah...the rawness...

Jonathan Corbet corbet-ft at lwn.net
Thu Jul 2 13:45:03 UTC 2009

So, what does one do after nearly a month of solid travel but upgrade
one's main desktop system to current rawhide?  Makes sense to me.  But
I've found some interesting bits of psychedelic behavior that I can't
readily find on the lists.  Any clues or even suggestions for which
packages to file bugs on would be helpful.

 - No sound.  Sound apps seem happy, volume is set as usual, silence is
   deafening.

 - After the screensaver puts things into power-saving mode, the
   display will never be the same again; it looks like most of the
   color resolution goes away.  Restarting X fixes it.  (Note: Intel
   driver but with my own kernel where I never got around to turning
   KMS on; same kernel as before the upgrade).

 - Most annoying of all: there seems to be real weirdness in the
   handling of modifier keys.  In my usual "caps lock is another
   control" configuration, I get no control key at all.  If caps lock
   is set to "default", then ALT_L turns into control.  The Alt
   modifier seems to be unattainable by any means - what's a poor emacs
   user to do?

On the last one, I note that dependency problems keep the current
libxklavier from being installed; maybe things will get better when
that's resolved?

Anybody else seen this stuff?

Thanks,

jon