Ah...the rawness...

Birger Wathne birger at birger.sh
Thu Jul 2 18:30:44 UTC 2009

Sitat Jonathan Corbet <corbet-ft at lwn.net>:

> So, what does one do after nearly a month of solid travel but upgrade
> one's main desktop system to current rawhide?  Makes sense to me.  But
> I've found some interesting bits of psychedelic behavior that I can't
> readily find on the lists.  Any clues or even suggestions for which
> packages to file bugs on would be helpful.

You have missed all the fun! :-) Rawhide just got back to usable state where
I can begin reporting bugs again. Firefox has been completely weird,
Evolution won't even start here, the kernel has done a good job of cooking
my system drawing about twice the normal amount of power... Apart from
evolution those are now fixed, and evolution is supposed to have been fixed
upstream. Just waiting for the new build to hit me.

>  - No sound.  Sound apps seem happy, volume is set as usual, silence is
>    deafening.

I should have noticed this. I think you are right. No sound!

>  - After the screensaver puts things into power-saving mode, the
>    display will never be the same again; it looks like most of the
>    color resolution goes away.  Restarting X fixes it.  (Note: Intel
>    driver but with my own kernel where I never got around to turning
>    KMS on; same kernel as before the upgrade).

When the screensaver tries to do that on my laptop it doesn't really
succeed. The system hard hangs so badly it doesn't want to pass through BIOS
POST and actually start grub if I power off/on. I'll have to see if it boots
normally if I pop the battery next time.

>  - Most annoying of all: there seems to be real weirdness in the
>    handling of modifier keys.  In my usual "caps lock is another
>    control" configuration, I get no control key at all.  If caps lock
>    is set to "default", then ALT_L turns into control.  The Alt
>    modifier seems to be unattainable by any means - what's a poor emacs
>    user to do?

Try using a norwegian keyboard when Alt Gr doesn't work. You can't type an
email address, you can't type brackets... I really need to get this one
reported.

> On the last one, I note that dependency problems keep the current
> libxklavier from being installed; maybe things will get better when
> that's resolved?

Lets hope so, but I wouldn't hold my breath

> Anybody else seen this stuff?

As you may have guessed; yes!

I would also love some pointers to the correct packages to file bugs against.

--
birger