Raising the bar

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Fri Jul 3 17:09:33 UTC 2009

Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-06-30 at 13:55 -0400, Christopher Beland wrote:
>> On Mon, 2009-06-29 at 15:27 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
>>> If you have ideas for
>>> other areas that could benefit from this kind of attention, please let
>>> us know.
>> I can think of a number of different cross-component tests...
>
> [...]
>
> Yeah, this is a very nice checklist for 'basic sanity'. And any bug you
> file about a problem in one of those categories certainly qualifies as a
> 'fit and finish' issue. But as a test day topic, it might be a bit
> boring to spend the whole day testing e.g. copy-and-paste between app X
> and Y to fill a big matrix...
>

> Matthias

The point of testing is to find issues and get them fixed.  When issues
are found but ignored because you don't run a pristine system with no
questionable modules (closed source drivers) then it gets frustrating to
even test.

For me, I am about to test my wife with a F11 install on her laptop.  It
will be interesting to see.

I have three issues that I see as major problems.

3D support out of the box.  I know that this is a major issue.  For a
home system it is a requirement.  No 3D, not use.

My own major headache is how to set up the locale to a format for all
users across the system that works.  I tried to modify the LC_X
variables but I started to get all kinds of error messages, (on F10) so
I just gave up.  This is a RFE but to me it is a usability issue.

Finally as mentioned before.  Codecs.  Again the law is in the way.

I will be participating when I can.

--
Robin Laing