update from f11 preview

stan gryt2 at q.com
Mon Jul 6 01:59:52 UTC 2009

On Sun, 5 Jul 2009 09:18:41 -0700
David L <idht4n at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have an f11 preview system on which I'm
> trying to yum install pptp and I'm running into
> various errors.  I seem to recall that there is
> a time window after which updating a preview
> system no longer updates to f11 but instead
> stays on rawhide.  I want to update to f11 and
> install a few packages without updating
> everything because I have a 5G monthly
> quota on my Verizon wireless connection.
> What is the right way to update from f11
> preview to f11 at this point?
>
> I've tried editing the yum.repos.d files
> to enable fedora and disable rawhide
> and changing $releasever to 11, but
> now I'm getting this error:
>
> GPG key retrieval failed: [Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error [Errno 2]
> No such file or directory: '/etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-i386'>
>
> Thanks,
>
>           David

Hi,
Try going to one of the mirrors on this list

http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/publiclist/Fedora/11/

and downloading the release package for F11

fedora-release-11-1.noarch.rpm

It contains the keys and the repositories for F11.

rpm -ivh fedora-release-11-1.noarch.rpm

as root will install the f11 keys and repositories, which should fix
your gpg problems. Then, go into your /etc/yum.repos.d
directory and disable all of the other repositories except the new ones.

>From that point you should be in F11.  I would advise that you do a

yum upgrade yum\*
and
yum upgrade rpm\*
first thing.

No guarantees, I've never done this with a rawhide installation, and as
Bill said you are out of warranty, but this should work.  You are
basically doing a manual upgrade of your system like preupgrade would
do, except the old system version is the same as the new system version.

After the first two commands, you might want to run
yum list updates > updates-file
and look at the list of updates to decide what to do next.

Don't forget to do the same for the rpmfusion repositories if you are
using them.