update from f11 preview

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon Jul 6 03:22:30 UTC 2009

stan wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Jul 2009 09:18:41 -0700
> David L <idht4n at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have an f11 preview system on which I'm
>> trying to yum install pptp and I'm running into
>> various errors.  I seem to recall that there is
>> a time window after which updating a preview
>> system no longer updates to f11 but instead
>> stays on rawhide.  I want to update to f11 and
>> install a few packages without updating
>> everything because I have a 5G monthly
>> quota on my Verizon wireless connection.
>> What is the right way to update from f11
>> preview to f11 at this point?
>>
>> I've tried editing the yum.repos.d files
>> to enable fedora and disable rawhide
>> and changing $releasever to 11, but
>> now I'm getting this error:
>>
>> GPG key retrieval failed: [Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error [Errno 2]
>> No such file or directory: '/etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-i386'>
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>>           David
>>
> Hi,
> Try going to one of the mirrors on this list
>
> http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/publiclist/Fedora/11/
>
> and downloading the release package for F11
>
> fedora-release-11-1.noarch.rpm
>
> It contains the keys and the repositories for F11.
>
> rpm -ivh fedora-release-11-1.noarch.rpm
>
> as root will install the f11 keys and repositories, which should fix
> your gpg problems. Then, go into your /etc/yum.repos.d
> directory and disable all of the other repositories except the new ones.

I'm in a similar position, but starting from F10. I'm just about ready
to ditch Fedora altogether on the system in question (RHEL-clone 5.4
beckons), but thought I'd do a Q&D upgrade before doing so, to see what
I can see.

I tried installing the fedora-release-11-1.noarch.rpm expecting that a
following "yum upgrade" would do the trick.

It didn't, it downloaded F10 updates, which I allowed.

This is next day, and at present I get "Error: cannot retrieve
repository metadata (repomnd.xml) for repository: fedora. Please verify
its path and try again."

This the request, taken from my Squid log:
1246849843.532    628 192.168.9.142 TCP_MISS/400 1425 GET
https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=fedora-11&arch=x86_64 -
DIRECT/6
6.35.62.166 text/html
Host: mirrors.fedoraproject.org