EPEL Bug Day July 11, 2009 0-23:59 UTC

Michael Stahnke mastahnke at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 22:32:23 UTC 2009

EPEL bug day is fast approaching and we are looking for your help.  This is a
chance to get involved with EPEL and help make the overall product a little
better.

Goal:  Reduce or update bugs from EPEL.

Strategy:  The vast majority of EPEL bugs have been classified loosely into
three categories.
  * ActualBug -- A real bug, often times with upstream software issues, or
perhaps packaging dependencies.  To triage, see if you can reproduce, ask for
more input, and in general see what can be done to fix it.
  * PackageBranch -- This is a request to get something into EPEL that currently
isn't there.  To triage, see if the package has been branched in CVS.  Perhaps
the maintainer simply hasn't built it yet.  Or, if it requires dependencies,
contact the maintainer for those dependencies, open another bug, and create the
proper relationship between them.
  * UpdatePackage -- Requests to update packages can be difficult in EPEL, but
each should be evaluated.  Ask for reasons why the update is required (security
is an extremely valid reason).  Sometimes the old version is no longer
maintained upstream, etc.  Keep in mind that updates that cause breakage should
at least be mentioned on the epel-announce mailing list.

Feel free to take a bug and help out.  It's a 24 hour event, and we have about
135 bugs.  If we can get 6 bugs an hour triage and updated, that would be all of
them.

Event coordination and collaboration will occur in #epel on irc.freenode.net.
(Also you don't have to wait until July 11 to start)

More Information:
*   https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL_Bug_Day_July_2009
Current Bug List
*   http://tr.im/epelbugs