Rawhide seems hosed today

Jonathan Kamens jik at kamens.brookline.ma.us
Wed Jul 8 03:43:40 UTC 2009

I've encountered a ton of problems today, including...

    * Firefox intermittently hanging when attempting to connect to some
      Web sites; wireshark shows SYN packet being sent but no ACK
      received in response.  This one may actually be a problem with my
      network connection, so I mention it first to get it out of the
      day, but the others are all pretty clearly Rawhide issues...
    * Can't start X with openchrome driver.  X server starts up, gets to
      this point in the log, and then abruptly stops:

(II) Module openchrome: vendor="http://openchrome.org/"
     compiled for 1.6.1.901, module version = 0.2.903
     Module class: X.Org Video Driver
     ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 5.0

    I can't even find a coredump.  VESA driver works, sort of (see below).

    * In thunderbird, when I click and drag a message to file it in a
      folder and drag my mouse cursor over my folder list, the folder
      that gets highlighted is eight folders /above/ the one my mouse is
      actually over.  When I let go of the mouse button, the message
      gets dropped into the highlighted folder, not the one my mouse is
      over.  I don't think this is a thunderbird bug because thunderbird
      was last updated May 19.  I think it's an X server bug, since
      xorg-x11-server-Xorg and xorg-x11-server-common were updated recently.
    * Beagle search icon in panel has a black background (I have
      beagle-0.3.9-9.fc11.i586 from koji, since Rawhide packages of
      updated beagle haven't been built, which is a different problem).
    * Weather applet wouldn't start up. "The panel encountered a problem
      while loading "OAFIID:GNOME_GWeatherApplet"."  Then when I logged
      out and logged back in again, it started fine.
    * The panel icons for gnome-volume-control-applet and
      system-config-printer applet are still broken.
    * Whenever I start any X application, when the window is first
      mapped onto the screen a small white square flashes in the upper
      left corner of where the window is going, before it is resized to
      the correct size and drawn properly.  This is clearly not a fatal
      problem, but it seems like new behavior and is quite annoying.
    * Firefox has crashed on me several times tonight when I tried to
      delete a draft page on my WordPress blog.
    * Issues with sound remain, as others have noted.
    * Gimp hangs on startup and is therefore completely unusable.
    * Something continues to suck CPU and keep my load average pegged at
      around 2 even when I'm not doing anything.  It doesn't appear to
      be a single process hogging CPU, but rather a number of processes
      using CPU for no discernable reason.  For example, gnome-session
      is stuck at around 6% CPU utilization.  What could gnome-session
      possibly be doing aside from waiting for me to log out?

Numerous other serious bugs I've filed recently remain unresolved,
including, but not limited to: 505971 (shutdown, reboot gone from GNOME
panel menu); 505670 (double free in /usr/lib/sa/sadc; I provided a patch
earlier today which hopefully will be picked up soon by the maintainer);
504300 (click on inkscape - X server crashes); 489492
(beagle-thunderbird doesn't work with thunderbird 3).

Ugh!

   jik