2009-07-08 - Fedora QA meeting Recap

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Wed Jul 8 22:59:04 UTC 2009

Full IRC transcript available at
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/Meetings/20090708

= Attendees =

* David Pravec (dpravec)
* James Laska (jlaska)
* Jesse Keating (f13)
* Jóhann Guðmundsson (viking-ice)
* Kamil Paral (kparal)
* Will Woods (wwoods)
* Richard June (rjune)

Regrets:
* Adam Williamson (adamw)

= Agenda =

[https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2009-July/msg00142.html Proposed meeting agenda]

== Previous meeting follow-up ==

* [jlaska] - update [[QA/Goals]] wiki document

Egg on me ... no updates this past week.  I consider this important and
would like to keep on the list for next week.

== ''Fit n Finish'' Display Configuration Test Day Recap ==

Announcement:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2009-June/msg00741.html

I invited mclasen to join the meeting today to provide a brief recap of
the test day.  What worked well, what didn't, how could things be
improved for next time?  Mclasen updated the group that ...

 * there was a bit of participation in the irc  channel throughout the
day, but not too much though.
 * mostly it was me and to some extent adam testing stuff and filing
bugs

Viking_Ice suggested it should be mandatory to provide guidelines for
contributors to file bug reports.  Jlaska cautioned that adding that
mandatory requirement might be a bit too harsh, but it's a great
guideline to list for folks wanting a successful test day experience.
Mclasen noted that it would be helpful to include a link to the wiki
test case.

Recommendations for future events ...
 * Need more advertising for fit'n'finish days
 * Loosen the date restriction on the test day wiki name -- perhaps note
in the SOP?
 * Include test case link in any bug reports filed -- perhaps note in
the SOP?

dpravec pointed out that ''google is releasing neatx (python based nx
server) -- which might be interesting for remote desktop problem
solving/testing...
http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2009/07/releasing-neatx-open-source-nx-servier.html''.  dpravec would investigate and may develop a HOWTO wiki page describing it's use.
.
== AutoQA - update from wwoods ==

https://fedorahosted.org/autoqa

So there's the test plan:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Rawhide_Acceptance_Test_Plan and
there's 4 cases remaining to write (see
https://fedorahosted.org/autoqa/query?status=new&status=assigned&status=reopened&summary=~Create+test+case&milestone=israwhidebroken.com&order=priority)

The first two - Core package {existence,closure} - require the Critical
Path package list/depsolving tool.  Last week skvidal wrote a tool to
depsolve out a list of packages/groups (see
http://wwoods.fedorapeople.org/files/critical-path/resolve_out_deps.py).

Created 2 new groups in F12 comps.xml (critical-path-base and
critical-path-gnome).  Combining those two groups and @core should cover
every use case listed in the [[Critical_Path_Packages_Proposal]].
Current expansion of the current Critical Path definitions are listed at
http://wwoods.fedorapeople.org/files/critical-path/deplist.txt.  It
works out to 500 packages (%5 of the distro).

Mclasen asked if these changes would be visible to the installer.
Wwoods and f13 noted that this group was not marked as visible:

<pre>
| <uservisible>false</uservisible>
| <default>false</default>
</pre>

Viking_ice noted for the record that we should create ''critical-path''
groups for other desktop environments.  Wwoods indicated this would be
possible, however the short-term goal of israwhidebroken.com is to focus
on the use cases described in the proposal.  f13 and Wwoods indicated
that the responsibility for creating and testing other desktop
environments would fall to the SIG owners of those desktop environments.
Jlaska directed curious contributors to the page describing how to
propose comps.xml changes (see
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/CompsXml).

Jlaska updated the group on ''autotest'' packaging efforts and
fedora-infrastructure engagement.  Notes from discussion with f13 posted
to the end of autoqa [https://fedorahosted.org/autoqa/ticket/9
ticket#9].

Wwoods provided a plan for the upcoming week ...
* finish writing tests, ask for review from f-t-l
* send out an informational message about the critical path deplist to
f-d-l
* hopefully, I'll also have time to start trying to automate one of the
simpler test cases in autotest

==  Debugging pages ... what's next? ==

Christopher Beland posted some data on the heaviest hitters when it
comes to new bugs filed (see
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2009-June/msg00723.html).  I didn't see if this was captured anywhere, but I wanted to review this list and come up with some ideas on how to approach fleshing out the remaining pages.

Viking_ice updated the team on some his great work creating the
[[Dracut]] and [[Dracut/Debugging]] wiki pages.

Viking_ice indicated there are several pages in [[Category:Debugging]]
that could use some additional cleanup, and would like to update several
pages as time permits.

Jlaska asked the group for suggestions on how best to track creating the
Debugging pages noted by Beland.  Jlaska how the team felt about
tracking these efforts in the fedora-qa track instance.  Oddly enough,
there weren't any criticisms with this approach.  Viking_ice offered to
review the tickets and make updates as needed.

Viking_ice noted he wasn't receiving any emails when new tickets were
filed.  Jlaska would look into the trac admin permissions.

== Open discussion ==

=== Update on TCMS? ===

f13 asked for an update on the TCMS plans?

jlaska indicated there were is some internal movement on developing
nitrate, but no updated schedule for releasing code.  Jlaska also
pointed out that [[User:Mchua]] has offered assistance to configure a
private mediawiki+semantic instance to help QA manage results through
the Fedora 12 schedule.

=== Link to existing goals? ===

Rjune asked for a link to the existing goals document.  Jlaska directed
to [[QA/Goals]].

=== Fedora Test Day Survey ===

Jlaska finally gathered F11 test day survey feedback and started posting
recommendations for review.  Please see
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2009-July/msg00009.html

=== Use VOIP for future meetings? ===

dpravec asked whether we should use a VOIP solution (like mumble) for
audio meetings.

Viking_ice and f13 indicated it is difficult to keep notes and sometimes
exclusive to host VOIP meetings instead of IRC meetings.

Jlaska noted that VOIP makes a lot of sense for different types of
meetings like the Fedora Activity Days.

f13 reminded the group about the fedora VOIP service -
http://talk.fedoraproject.org

= Upcoming QA events =

* 2009-07-14 - [[BugZappers/Triage_days]]
* 2009-07-15 - 16:00 UTC - Next QA Meeting [[QA/Meetings/20090715]]

= Action items =

* [jlaska] - update [[QA/Goals]] wiki document
* [jlaska] - update fedora-qa privs so that viking_ice is on the default
bcc
* [jlaska] - file a bunch of tickets to track wiki RFC's (requests for
content) for debugging pages ... email list seeking volunteers after