Two methods to make installable f11 usbkey - only one works!

Rangeen Basu sherry151 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 17:13:26 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 2:21 PM, cornel panceac<cpanceac at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/7/10 Mike Cloaked <mike.cloaked at gmail.com>
>>
>> I have an interesting phenomenon for install (failure) off a usbkey for
>> F11
>> that I would like to understand.
>>
>> I used the method at
>>
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_and_use_Live_USB#How_to_Make_a_bootable_USB_Drive_to_Install_Fedora_11_instead_of_using_a_physical_DVD
>> (which I wrote), to try and install F11 on a Samsung NC10 netbook.  The
>> livecd-iso-to-disk command was executed on a machine running up to date
>> F11
>> to create the bootable key. The NC10 would not boot at all off the key,
>> and
>> just gave a single cursor and nothing else. The boot flag was indeed set.

I have also experienced this and the key to solving it is using ext3
(Linux / 83) file system instead of dos filesystem. while creating
partition use 83 as the filesystem type and then format the usb disk
using mkfs.ext3 . It will work. See this [1] for details.

[1] http://sherry151.blogspot.com/2009/03/live-usb-magic.html

--
Regards
Rangeen Basu Roy Chowdhury