on Rawhide, screen goes black when X starts

David dgboles at comcast.net
Mon Jul 13 20:17:56 UTC 2009

On 7/13/2009 11:26 AM, Andre Robatino wrote:
> On 07/13/2009 10:32 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
>
>> There's not a whole lot of detail in the log; it just shows that it
>> hangs when loading the vboxvideo driver. As a workaround you could try
>> creating an xorg.conf file and setting the driver to 'vesa' - see
>> http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_xorg.conf . That may
>> avoid the problem.
>
> There was already an xorg.conf file using the vboxvideo driver, which I
> changed to vesa, and it now works!  Thank you.  Incidentally, when
> installing the VirtualBox guest additions in Rawhide, I get the message
>
> Warning: unsupported pre-release version of X.Org Server installed.  Not
> installing the X.Org drivers.
>
> The timestamp on my /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/vboxvideo_drv.so
> file is 2009-06-21, which is probably around the time the problem
> started.  I guess that was the time of the last successful install of
> the drivers.

The problem you are having is the version of Xorg that Rawhide supplies.
Since Rawhide is a testing and 'work in progress' system the version of
Xorg is 'experimental'. Virtualbox does not usually support
'experimental' software. It changes to quickly. The same/a similar
problem occurred, IIRC, with the Rawhide that is now Fedora 11 during
the switch from Xorg 1.5 to Xorg 1.6.

Do as Adam suggested and use the vesa video driver to get your GUI. BTW
the Virtualbox mouse driver will not work either. If you use the mouse
inside the virtual machine it will be 'stuck' there and you will have to
release it to get it back to your desktop.

--

  David