Apps stop responding to mouse keys

birger birger at birger.sh
Tue Jul 14 10:36:38 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-07-14 at 05:30 -0400, Kamil Paral wrote:
> ----- "birger" <birger at birger.sh> wrote:
>
> > One more of those hard to file on correct component bugs... Any help
> > appreciated.
> >
> > Sometimes the application I'm working in stops responding to mouse
> > presses. No menus work, nothing. Sometimes this happens in a
> > virtualbox
> > VM (the whole virtualbox window stops responding), sometimes it's in
> > firefox, sometimes in gnome-terminal.
> >
> > Whenever this happens I have to click on another app and actually use
> > the mouse buttons inside that app. Click on a button or menu and see
> > that I get a response. I can then go back to the app I was working in
> > and it will be ok again.
> >
> > I am running both compiz and cairo-dock, but not much customization
> > apart from that.
>
> Hello,
>
> I have seen exactly this behaviour on Ubuntu, therefore it is highly probable that this bug is not Fedora-specific. I have seen it always when running Compiz and never when running Metacity, therefore I suppose it could be a Compiz bug. Switching applications or minimizing and restoring application usually helps. I never looked for it, but I would guess that someone certainly has reported such bug in Compiz. It could also be a video driver bug (I've seen it on nvidia binary driver).
>
> Unfortunately I currently don't know of any other workaround than switching the Compiz off.

I found a bug report on this against gnome-terminal. I have added my own
entry to that one, adding that it may be a compiz issue. On the other
hand it could well be that gnome-terminal is involved, as I switch
between gnome-terminal and other apps a lot.

I see this on intel graphics, so I don't think its a driver issue.