Bugzilla semantics: marking bugs as triaged

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Jul 17 18:50:25 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-07-17 at 13:43 -0400, Christopher Beland wrote:
> If it is useful to indicate whether or not a bug has been reproduced,
> there could be three states: NEW, TRIAGED, and CONFIRMED.  It could work
> in a one-dimensional fashion (no keywords) if CONFIRMED implies TRIAGED.
> It seems like if someone is going to all the work of confirming a bug
> *and* they have permission to change the bug's state, they might as well
> triage it as well.

I don't think we can assume that. If, say, I'd seen an issue reported
twice but not yet with sufficient info, I might set it to CONFIRMED, but
it's not yet been triaged.

> This additional state only becomes useful if there are people actively
> looking in Bugzilla trying to reproduce bugs that have already been
> triaged.  Is that actually the case?   Or are there so many untriaged
> bugs that no one really cares whether the "extra credit" work of
> reproduction has been done on all of the triaged bugs for a specific
> component?

It's not necessarily about 'trying to reproduce', there are many cases
where we know multiple people are experiencing a bug just from duplicate
reports or follow-up comments.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey