still having occasional hard desktop lockups

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Mon Jun 1 12:50:39 UTC 2009

On Mon, 1 Jun 2009, Aioanei Rares wrote:

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >   i know i've mentioned this before but i'm still having the
> > occasional desktop lockup where, when i'm trying to, say, just drag a
> > window, the cursor changes to the 4-way arrow and just *stays* that
> > way.  i can still move the cursor but it's painfully slow and there's
> > no way to get control of the system back short of power cycling.
> >
> >   IIRC, if i'm on a network, i can still ssh in so the underlying
> > system is still functioning, but there's no way to break out of X
> > anymore -- ctrl-alt-bs doesn't work.
> >
> >   is anyone else seeing this?  radeon driver.
> >
> > rday

> Not sure if ctrl+alt+bkspc works anymore on Fedora...[grin]

  actually, i've adjusted my xorg.conf to allow it, so there's
still something locking up fairly hard.  it generally only happens if
i try to do something sudden, like quickly drag or resize a window, as
if the driver can't quite keep up with sudden motion.

rday

Linked In:                             http://www.linkedin.com/in/rpjday