RCs for Everyone (was One (more) week slip of Fedora 11 Release)

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon Jun 1 16:50:44 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-06-01 at 11:27 -0500, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> Wrong. This is the nature of torrenting. It seems you are dead-set
> against bittorrent so this will be my last discussion on it.
>
> One person connects up at 100kB/sec download. Then another connects.
> Seeder's at 50kB/sec split. However - the peers are sharing. If they
> have 50kB/sec upload speeds (most people do have around 512kbit) then
> guess what! They are sharing 100kB/sec bandwidth all around! It's must
> faster than two clients connecting to one HTTP URL at 50kB/sec. It
> scales with more people connected and once more seeders are available.
> There is no hard load on the Fedora server and lots of users are getting
> RCs at reasonable speeds.
>
> The only problem with bittorrent is that Jesse Keating doesn't like it.

It's not that I don't like bittorrent, it's just what I've observed from
our tracker.  Client torrents are horribly slow until enough people have
gotten large enough amounts to effectively seed.  The only way we've
made torrents useful on release day is to pre-sync the bits to 5 or more
people to seed for us, and they connect to the tracker immediate and
offer up their full download to seed.  Without this the clients trying
to torrent get very poor speeds for a very long time.

I know what the theory of Bittorrent is, but I also know the practice of
how it's working for the Fedora project.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!