RCs for Everyone (was One (more) week slip of Fedora 11 Release)

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Mon Jun 1 17:26:28 UTC 2009

Once upon a time, Michael Cronenworth <mike at cchtml.com> said:
> Chris Adams wrote:
> >Once upon a time, Michael Cronenworth <mike at cchtml.com> said:
> >>I'd have to download from mirrors,
> >>which is costing mirror bandwidth.
> >
> >You've mentioned this a couple of times; why do you think mirrors
> >mirror?  If I didn't want people to consume bandwidth downloading
> >rawhide, I wouldn't mirror rawhide.
>
> Sorry, I wasn't referring to total bandwidth over time, but bandwidth
> per second.

Okay, so?  Not sure what you are trying to differentiate here.  Rawhide
changes daily, so I expect anybody using rawhide to use some of my bits
per second every day after the sync.

> Example: Release day is often murder for mirrors. I wait at least a week
> before upgrading because it would take hours to download packages via
> preupgrade or yum.

Yeah, but that's release day, not the weeks before release when you are
wanting RCs.

There are also a number of high-bandwidth mirrors these days (such as
kernel.org) that greatly reduce the slowdown during release.  IIRC even
my little mirror only really topped out its bandwidth for a couple of
days after the release of F10 (and it wasn't flat-lined; HTTP was still
getting through just fine for the most part).

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>