RCs for Everyone (was One (more) week slip of Fedora 11 Release)

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Tue Jun 2 20:22:09 UTC 2009

Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> Chris Adams wrote:
>>
>> Okay, so?  Not sure what you are trying to differentiate here.  Rawhide
>> changes daily, so I expect anybody using rawhide to use some of my bits
>> per second every day after the sync.
>>
>>> Example: Release day is often murder for mirrors. I wait at least a
>>> week before upgrading because it would take hours to download
>>> packages via preupgrade or yum.
>>
>> Yeah, but that's release day, not the weeks before release when you are
>> wanting RCs.
>>
>> There are also a number of high-bandwidth mirrors these days (such as
>> kernel.org) that greatly reduce the slowdown during release.  IIRC even
>> my little mirror only really topped out its bandwidth for a couple of
>> days after the release of F10 (and it wasn't flat-lined; HTTP was still
>> getting through just fine for the most part).
>>

> Sounds like mirrors could/should take RCs then? Push them out and
> announce their availability when they show up (24h?)? Negates the whole
> bittorrent/jigdo discussion.

Not for most people, I have no desire to pull an RC on a regular basis, I would
rather track rawhide. But if I could use the RPMs I have and a little jigdo to
get anything I haven't upgraded, then I would be glad to build an RC regularly
and test the install on a VM at least. I wouldn't beat up my bandwidth to pull
1-2 DVDs a day (or a week).

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>