intel graphics driver slow (was: slightly OT - X performance benchmark)

David L idht4n at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 22:32:52 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 2:44 PM, Kevin DeKorte  wrote:
> On 06/02/2009 03:37 PM, David L wrote:
>> My f11 system seems extremely slow when running
>> some 2D gtk/cairo apps.  Is there a benchmark
>> suite that is yum installable for testing X performance?
<snip>

> Personally I find that gtkperf is useful although not an exact science.
> I like to run it with the following options
>
> gtkperf -c 500 -a

Thanks Kevin,

That helped confirm my suspicions.  Here's my output with
the intel driver on my Intel 82865G:

GtkPerf 0.40 - Starting testing: Tue Jun  2 15:06:29 2009

GtkEntry - time:  0.47
GtkComboBox - time:  6.78
GtkComboBoxEntry - time:  3.31
GtkSpinButton - time:  2.38
GtkProgressBar - time:  1.16
GtkToggleButton - time:  1.50
GtkCheckButton - time:  0.45
GtkRadioButton - time:  1.21
GtkTextView - Add text - time:  3.39
GtkTextView - Scroll - time:  3.55
GtkDrawingArea - Lines - time:  1.76
GtkDrawingArea - Circles - time: 44.60
GtkDrawingArea - Text - time: 15.80
GtkDrawingArea - Pixbufs - time:  1.38
 ---
Total time: 87.74

Same computer using the vesa driver:
GtkPerf 0.40 - Starting testing: Tue Jun  2 15:19:09 2009

GtkEntry - time:  0.14
GtkComboBox - time:  1.77
GtkComboBoxEntry - time:  1.29
GtkSpinButton - time:  0.30
GtkProgressBar - time:  0.20
GtkToggleButton - time:  0.33
GtkCheckButton - time:  0.12
GtkRadioButton - time:  0.28
GtkTextView - Add text - time:  1.01
GtkTextView - Scroll - time:  0.53
GtkDrawingArea - Lines - time:  0.61
GtkDrawingArea - Circles - time:  1.43
GtkDrawingArea - Text - time:  1.31
GtkDrawingArea - Pixbufs - time:  0.10
 ---
Total time:  9.42

I was running at a higher resolution using the intel driver,
but it's nearly 10x slower.  Is this expected from this
driver?  Until very recently it was hanging my system,
so maybe it's still not mature?

Thanks,

                David