Fedora 11 Test Day survey

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Jun 4 18:56:41 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-06-04 at 14:16 +0200, Till Maas wrote:

> > 3. Did you encounter any obstacles preventing participation in Fedora
> > test Days?  How might they have been avoided?  Did you discover any
> > workaround?
>
> The live iso images failed to be converted to live usb media on F10 with a
> strange looking boot menu. It could have beend avoided with testing this
> before starting the test day.

This sounds like the somewhat-infamous problem with f10's USB creator
not working for F11 images. Later in the F11 cycle, we did have that
issue neatly identified and pinned down, and we started adding a box out
to test days explaining it. See the nouveau page, for e.g.:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2009-03-26_Nouveau#Live_Image

note the blue box. The explanation could have been a bit more
descriptive and emphatic, though, I suppose.

> > 4. Were you able to locate and download installation media for testing?
> > Did it function as expected?
>
> Yes. No, see 3. Also I would have expected testing instructions on the live
> media to perform the tests without the need to setup an internet connection on
> the testing machine.

That's a good point - in some situations it's hard to get an internet
connection on a live image. So we should try as hard as we can to
include all necessary material on the image itself.

> Also some bug report info gathering scripts would have
> been nice, that e.g. collect all the data required by the packages maintainers
> for a bug report in some file on the usb medium. E.g. the Xorg people wanted a
> lot of information that I did not have anymore after I rebooted to my stable
> F10 system and reported the bug. Also when the test crashes the Xserver, it is
> very annoying to get to the log files, because they are deleted after a
> reboot.

This one's a bit tricky - on the one hand it'd be nice, on the other
it'd be a substantial development effort for each test day and they
already take quite a lot of effort to organize. Perhaps, however, we
could come up with a general-purpose script which could be used for X
test days, as the procedures tend to be very similar for different
drivers and different releases. We'll certainly look into that for the X
test days for F12.

Thanks for your feedback!
--
Adam Williamson