RCs for Everyone (was One (more) week slip of Fedora 11 Release)

Andre Robatino andre at bwh.harvard.edu
Fri Jun 5 00:19:06 UTC 2009

John Poelstra wrote:
> Bruno Wolff III said the following on 06/04/2009 06:24 AM Pacific Time:
>> On Mon, Jun 01, 2009 at 12:01:52 -0500,
>>    Chris Adams<cmadams at hiwaay.net>  wrote:
>>> You've mentioned this a couple of times; why do you think mirrors
>>> mirror?  If I didn't want people to consume bandwidth downloading
>>> rawhide, I wouldn't mirror rawhide.
>>
>> And thanks for doing that! Hiwaay is one of the best Fedora mirrors for
>> the US. It syncs up a couple of times a day. I switch between it and the
>> US kernel.org mirror. Most of the other US mirrors do not sync up daily.
>>

> Definitely agree!
>
> Would a specific mirror like hiwaay be willing/able to carry RCs for
> testing purposes?
>
> John

I don't think this is necessary.  I never had any trouble getting a
full-speed (for me) 3Mbps download for any of the 6 full DVD images I
had to download from the RC server in order to create the relatively
tiny deltaisos - and if the RC server distributed only these, its
bandwidth could be reduced by a factor of 20-100.  The problem seems to
be a shortage of people willing to do testing.  Deltaisos would make it
a lot easier to download the RCs, which is probably a factor, since it's
easier and faster to run the one command to apply the deltas (if they're
available) than it is to have to spend several hours downloading the
full image over, and over, and over.  Creating them is equally easy on
the server side, so that shouldn't be an issue either.

On the other hand, it would be nice if a few servers could host
deltaisos from N Final to (N+1) Final.  All that's necessary to use them
is a good copy of N Final either as an ISO, or on media.  Most of the
existing Fedora users probably qualify.