Is alsa-version 1.0.20 or 1.0.18?

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 5 18:26:57 UTC 2009

--- On Fri, 6/5/09, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:

> From: Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com>
> Subject: Re: Is alsa-version 1.0.20 or 1.0.18?
> To: "For testers of Fedora Core development releases" <fedora-test-list at redhat.com>
> Date: Friday, June 5, 2009, 10:15 AM
> On Fri, 2009-06-05 at 07:11 +0200,
> antonio montagnani wrote:
> > Antonio Olivares wrote / ha scritto on /il 05/06/2009
> 05:22:
> > > Dear fellow testers,
> > >
> > >   I have been running rawhide
> successfully for quite some time.  On
> > a home machine from which I only have dialup
> connection I took it to
> > school and updated a Fedora 11 Preview Installation
> and am running
> > with no troubles or not much at all.  I ran
> scanModem, the tool from
> > LinModems to identify modems.  It reports alsa
> version to be 1.0.18, I
> > also run ./alsa-info or something like that that it
> outputs
> > to /tmp/alsa-info.txt.  I have attached the
> output of both and see why
> > one reports 1.0.18(ScanModem) and the other the
> alsa-info.txt has
> > several ones still reporting 1.0.18.  Should not
> they all match
> > 1.0.20?  Something appears to be wrong, and I'd
> be better asking than
> > be sorry later.
> > >
> > > Attached will be the files.
>
> > !!ALSA Version
> > !!------------
> >
> > Driver version:     1.0.18a
> > Library version:    1.0.20
> > Utilities version:  1.0.20
>
> This is normal. The drivers are provided as part of the
> kernel, while
> the libs and utils are provided as separate packages. It's
> quite common
> for the libs and utils to be somewhat ahead of the drivers,
> as these get
> updated as soon as the ALSA project makes a new release,
> while the
> kernel drivers get updated only on the upstream kernel's
> schedule (we
> don't replace the ALSA from the upstream kernel with the
> latest version
> from alsa-project.org) so they tend to be a bit slower.
>
> This doesn't cause any problems. Later libs and utils are
> usually
> perfectly compatible with slightly older drivers, and if in
> any case
> they aren't, our maintainers would simply hold up on
> updating the libs /
> drivers packages for a while.
>
> So, situation normal, don't panic :)
> --
> Adam Williamson
> Fedora QA Community Monkey
> IRC: adamw | Fedora Talk: adamwill AT fedoraproject DOT
> org
> http://www.happyassassin.net
>
> --

I ran the alsa-info script at home and it is almost the same the driver is at 1.0.18a but the release is 1.0.19 while the soon to be Fedora 11 has alsa 1.0.20

[olivares at localhost ~]$ alsa-info --no-upload
ALSA Information Script v 0.4.54
--------------------------------

This script will collect information about your ALSA installation and sound related hardware, to help diagnose your problem.

Do you want to run this script? [y/n] : y
										 Done!

You requested that your information was NOT automatically uploaded to the www.alsa-project.org

Your ALSA information can be seen by looking in /tmp/alsa-info.txt

[olivares at localhost ~]$ cat /tmp/alsa-info.txt | more
upload=true&script=true&cardinfo=
!!################################
!!ALSA Information Script v 0.4.54
!!################################

!!Script ran on: Fri Jun  5 18:15:18 UTC 2009

!!Linux Distribution
!!------------------

Fedora release 10 (Cambridge) Fedora release 10 (Cambridge) Fedora release 10 (C
ambridge) Fedora release 10 (Cambridge)

!!Kernel Information
!!------------------

Kernel release:    2.6.29.4-75.fc10.i686.PAE
Operating System:  GNU/Linux
Architecture:      i686
Processor:         i686
SMP Enabled:       Yes

!!ALSA Version
!!------------

Driver version:     1.0.18a
Library version:    1.0.19
Utilities version:  1.0.19

There may arise problems because of certain modem drivers require alsa stuff in them:

For instance the agrsm packages like 11c11040

http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/ltmodem/11c11040/

and the SLMODEMD.gcc4.X packages:

http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/

I hope you are correct Adam and there will be no such problems with this issue.  In any case we'll see how things behave in the forseeable future.
I was thinking that all three had to match, but I am no expert that is why I asked to be safe.

Regards,

Antonio

CC'd to scanModem maintainer Marv Stodolsky

Marv,

You can run the script alsa-info.sh on Ubuntu also to get information for alsa.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingSoundProblems

You can get the script from here:
http://alsa-project.org/alsa-info.sh