no display after pre-upgrade from F10 to Rawhide

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Jun 8 20:42:21 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-06-08 at 15:32 -0400, Claude Jones wrote:
> On Mon June 8 2009 1:30:04 pm Adam Williamson wrote:
> > Claude, can you confirm whether it's the 'nouveau' driver or
> > 'nv' which is used if you start with no xorg.conf ?
>

> Sorry, I missed this part of your previous reply. Right now, I can't
> tell because I removed the nouveau driver while trying to figure out
> what my problem was. I'll reinstall it tonight and post results - do
> the results of the command you asked me to post tell you anything?

Yes, they tell me that if you have nouveau installed (and no xorg.conf),
that's what ought to get used. So it'd be interesting to see if things
work better or worse with nouveau. nv is now really around only for
compatibility with a couple of chips that don't work right with nouveau
yet, for compatibility, and for comparison purposes for the nouveau
maintainer / authors. nouveau is The Way Forward, and it's the driver we
care most about - if your card works with nouveau, we don't care much if
it fails with nv :)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey