no display after pre-upgrade from F10 to Rawhide

Claude Jones cjoneslists at tehogeeservices.com
Tue Jun 9 17:00:50 UTC 2009

On Tue June 9 2009 9:28:32 am Neal Becker wrote:
> So are you saying that a box that was already using
> proprietary nvidia (from rpmfusion) was switched to using
> nouveau?  Was this update via anaconda or just yum update to
> F11?  (I'm considering yum update and do not want my graphics
> to break).

Sequence of events:
Started with working F10 box using nVidia driver from rpmfusion
Mobo is an Asus P5k with a Q6600 processor and 4GB of ram
Had a number of other repos installed as well including livna,
kde-redhat, kwizart, remi, and adobe
Ran preupgrade - all seemed to run well but when the machine came
back up after the upgrade, there was no video
Suspecting the nVidia driver, I removed it; suspecting nouveau, I
removed it; suspecting nv, I removed it - that removed all
suspicion that this was a video problem since even the vesa
driver wouldn't produce a display
Some message during this got me onto suspecting something amiss
with KDE
Booting into X using GDM and Gnome worked!
Reinstalling nv worked, and subsequently, reinstalling nouveau
also worked
Yum had multiple issues that I won't go into so ended up
reconfiguring my smart channels and using smart to run an update
this morning - that fixed KDE and now I'm up on KDE and nouveau -
I'm going to run that way for awhile and see how nouveau does - I
do run Cinelerra on this machine, so I'll have to see how that
goes

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA