Issues with the Live CD requirement for separate /boot

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Jun 10 19:15:07 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-06-10 at 13:41 -0400, Scott Robbins wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 09:08:41AM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
>

> I'm going to try to summarize, top posting by design in this case,
> leaving the original discussion below for reference.
>

> So, would this be a reasonable summmary?
>
> The release notes, which are copious and detailed, are usually written
> from a more technical perspective
>
> Rather than posting our own solutions all over the place, the ideal
> would be user oriented, possibly newcomer oriented, release notes,
> possibly in a separate section.  (Similar, I think, to what Rahul's
> trying to do with a FAQ.)
>
> Then, we could direct people to the release notes.  (Which could be done
> on the forums too--for example, instead of the current sticky that we
> have, just a sticky saying, please check the common issues at <url>,
> especially if you're planning to install from the LiveCD.)
>
> Lastly, making such documentation will require commitment, so I should
> either join or shut up.  :)
>
> Would this be fairly accurate?

Well, not quite. I think we can do everything in the release notes. How
they are now doesn't have to be how they always are, nothing is
immutable.

If it turns out to be impossible to have release notes which both retain
the breadth and depth of technical information of the current notes
_and_ explain particular problems caused by changes and the workarounds
for them in a way that users with little experience can understand, then
we could look at alternative strategies. But I don't think doing both is
an unrealistic goal.

And yes, I think those of us who are enthusiastic about documenting
release-related issues should join the documentation team and give them
the benefit of our immeasurable wisdom. ;) I sure intend to.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey