Rawhide: sound level resets to 0% each login...

Tom London selinux at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 14:06:14 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 6:29 AM, Tom London<selinux at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 11:05 PM, Adam Williamson<awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:

>>> After changing the values in /etc/asound.state per above, and then
>>> logging out and logging back in again, I still get volume at 0%.
>>
>> That's significant - logging out then in shouldn't really cause any
>> change to your volume at all, AFAIK. That sounds perhaps like
>> PulseAudio's doing it, since it gets restarted at session start...does
>> it happen if you kill the running pulseaudio, and then start it again?
>>
> No, I did:
>
> [tbl at tlondon ~]$ pulseaudio --kill
> [tbl at tlondon ~]$ pulseaudio --start
> [tbl at tlondon ~]$
>
> And saw no effect: volume level repained at 100%

OK, I think I may have stumbled across something.....

This appears to have something to do with the "volume setting" for
system sounds.

Something zero-ed the sound level for system sounds (Sound
Preferences->Sound Effects".  (I did notice that the nice "system
start" sound stopped a few days ago).

Setting this (separate) sound level to something other than 0, and
then logging out and logging back in again produces the system start
sound as well as providing a non-zero sound level for applications.

However, there appears to be a "downward spiral" issue here: If the
"sound effects" level is less than 100%, each time I log back in the
sound level is lower (e.g., 83% the first time, 66% the second, ....).
 I believe I had the "sound effects level set at about 80%.

The sound level appears to be saved/restored properly after changing
this setting (sound level for "sound effects") to 100%.....

This can't be the way this should work.

I'll BZ this against "gnome-login-sounds" (i.e.,
libcanberra-0.12-2.fc12.x86_64) for a start.

Thanks for the help.

tom
--
Tom London