Rawhide: sound level resets to 0% each login...

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Jun 18 16:12:21 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-06-18 at 07:06 -0700, Tom London wrote:

> OK, I think I may have stumbled across something.....
>
> This appears to have something to do with the "volume setting" for
> system sounds.
>
> Something zero-ed the sound level for system sounds (Sound
> Preferences->Sound Effects".  (I did notice that the nice "system
> start" sound stopped a few days ago).
>
> Setting this (separate) sound level to something other than 0, and
> then logging out and logging back in again produces the system start
> sound as well as providing a non-zero sound level for applications.
>
> However, there appears to be a "downward spiral" issue here: If the
> "sound effects" level is less than 100%, each time I log back in the
> sound level is lower (e.g., 83% the first time, 66% the second, ....).
>  I believe I had the "sound effects level set at about 80%.
>
> The sound level appears to be saved/restored properly after changing
> this setting (sound level for "sound effects") to 100%.....
>
> This can't be the way this should work.
>
> I'll BZ this against "gnome-login-sounds" (i.e.,
> libcanberra-0.12-2.fc12.x86_64) for a start.

Actually, you've jiggled my memory: I remember someone else having
exactly the same problem. Unfortunately I can't remember who or find the
bug report :\ I'll keep looking. FOr now go ahead and file it, if I can
find a dupe I'll close it appropriately. Thanks!

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey