2009-06-24 - Fedora QA meeting Recap

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at hi.is
Thu Jun 25 18:05:40 UTC 2009

On 06/25/2009 05:48 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-06-25 at 17:37 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>

>> I think asking for some competence/responsibility from packagers is not
>> to much! After all is exposing this to thousand, hundreds of thousand
>> millions of users and he needs to be competent enough to handle the
>> reports that flow in bugzilla against the component he introduced.
>>
> There's a difference between competence and knowledge. If someone were
> to report a bug in the package I discussed a bit ago, from the report
> I'd probably know what to ask to figure out what was going wrong, and
> then - if it were likely to apply to future reports - I'd add that
> information to the 'what information to ask for on bug reports for this
> issue' page. So I'd consider myself competent enough to generate the
> knowledge in the appropriate circumstance. But it's harder to work
> entirely on theory - 'Imagine something's gone wrong. Now, what's the
> first question you'd ask?'...that's a bit harder. Usually, the
> information you get from someone when something actually goes wrong is
> important in figuring out what question you're going to ask to figure
> out how to fix it, and it's easier to identify patterns in what
> information you need in _retrospect_ rather than in advance. For me,
> anyway. It may be that this is different for others.

The ultimate goal ( atleast from my stand point ) is to make it
mandatory for a reporter to attache the needed file to be successfully
able to work with the report from the start! A reporter is filling a
bug, bugzilla checks if the file(s) the maintainer needs to have, have
been attached to the report if not reporter is not able to submit the
report. This eliminates unneeded/unwanted word games between maintainer
and reporter ( or triager and reporter if you will ) and provides the
maintainer with something to work with other than potentially half baked
description of the underlying issue from an inexperienced reporter..

Jóhann "Still lacking the subtle part" Guðmundsson