Fedora 11 x86_64 yum update failures from updates-testing

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Mon Jun 29 06:46:56 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 10:31:42AM -0700, stan wrote:
> These errors are generated when I do individual yum updates on the
> packages from updates-testing.
>
> Transaction Check Error:
>   file /usr/bin/gauche-cesconv conflicts between attempted installs of
> gauche-0.8.14-1.fc11.x86_64 and gauche-0.8.13-3.fc11.i586
You are attempting to install, for whatever reasons, two different
versions, instead of the same one, of a package for two different
architectures.  Something of that sort is bound to generate conflict
reports for every file, with possible rare exceptions, from packages
involved.

One possibility is that your mirror provides in the given moment an
updated package for x86_64 and only an old one for i?86 (or the
other way around).  Just try later when a mirror sync will be
complete.

Otherwise you can try to add '--exclude="*.i?86"' to yum flags.  If
this will error out then messages may give you some clues for real
causes.

BTW - do you really need 'gauche' as "multilib"?  De-installing a
spurious variant before attempts to update could be an answer too.

   Michal