still having occasional hard desktop lockups

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Mon Jun 1 16:29:19 UTC 2009

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   i know i've mentioned this before but i'm still having the
> occasional desktop lockup where, when i'm trying to, say, just drag a
> window, the cursor changes to the 4-way arrow and just *stays* that
> way.  i can still move the cursor but it's painfully slow and there's
> no way to get control of the system back short of power cycling.
>
>   IIRC, if i'm on a network, i can still ssh in so the underlying
> system is still functioning, but there's no way to break out of X
> anymore -- ctrl-alt-bs doesn't work.
>
>   is anyone else seeing this?  radeon driver.
>
> rday
> --

I am running into this with KDE desktop.  Exact symptoms.  The keyboard
is dead and I cannot do anything.  Even the Caps Lock key doesn't work.
  Num lock does work.

I tried to kill processes from a ssh but had no success.

No process loads to indicate where the problem is.  Nothing to report to
assist in a bug report.

What desktop are you running out of curiosity?

I have nVidia on an older system.  I have not run into this with my
64bit system.

I have not had a lockup for a few days but before I get into a video
editing session (when my lockups are normal), I log out and back in.  It
seems to work great.

You do make a point about the changes.  It seems that most of the
lockups are when I make quick changes to the applications.

Any hints on what to look for via strace or what application to look at?

--
Robin Laing