RCs for Everyone (was One (more) week slip of Fedora 11 Release)

Robert 'Bob' Jensen bob at fedoraunity.org
Mon Jun 1 16:44:50 UTC 2009

----- "Robert 'Bob' Jensen" <bob at fedoraunity.org> wrote:

> As long as people will "re-seed" in a example case distributing Fedora
> Unity's Re-Spins showed this did not happen enough.
>
> Jigdo is out of favor for many reasons. NIH, was written in the debian
> camp with competent debian users as the target consumer from what I
> can tell. Former debian users now in the Fedora community saying
> "debian users do not even use jigdo any more" because we all know that
> debian is the baseline that determines if something is useful or not.
> Upsteam that is not interested in improving or adding functionality.
> The GUI does not work, you have to use jigdo-lite, oh no the horrors
> of the command line. The list really goes on and on, The Fedora Unity
> team has been working on a python rewrite of jigdo, pyjigdo, for a
> while off and on. Jigdo has been working very well when distributing
> the Fedora Unity Re-Spins.

I forgot to even list the main benefits of jigdo as I see them.

No redundant downloading of packages you have on your system or on the earlier .iso image. Jesse dislikes jigdo. Everyone can use a jigdo client because you use standard protocols rather than protocols that may be blocked by an employer or school admin as P2P. You can use the existing mirror infrastructure to grab the packages you don't have.

|       Robert 'Bob' Jensen        ||       Fedora Unity Founder       |
|       bob at fedoraunity.org        ||      http://fedoraunity.org/     |
|                   http://bjensen.fedorapeople.org/                   |
|                http://blogs.fedoraunity.org/bobjensen                |