still having occasional hard desktop lockups

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Mon Jun 1 18:40:34 UTC 2009

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Jun 2009, Robin Laing wrote:
>
>> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>>>   i know i've mentioned this before but i'm still having the
>>> occasional desktop lockup where, when i'm trying to, say, just
>>> drag a window, the cursor changes to the 4-way arrow and just
>>> *stays* that way.  i can still move the cursor but it's painfully
>>> slow and there's no way to get control of the system back short of
>>> power cycling.
>>>
>>>   IIRC, if i'm on a network, i can still ssh in so the underlying
>>> system is still functioning, but there's no way to break out of X
>>> anymore -- ctrl-alt-bs doesn't work.
>>>
>>>   is anyone else seeing this?  radeon driver.
>>>
>>> rday
>>> --
>> I am running into this with KDE desktop.  Exact symptoms.  The
>> keyboard is dead and I cannot do anything.  Even the Caps Lock key
>> doesn't work.  Num lock does work.
>>
>> I tried to kill processes from a ssh but had no success.
>>
>> No process loads to indicate where the problem is.  Nothing to
>> report to assist in a bug report.
>>
>> What desktop are you running out of curiosity?
>
>   GNOME.
>
>> I have nVidia on an older system.  I have not run into this with my
>> 64bit system.
>>
>> I have not had a lockup for a few days but before I get into a video
>> editing session (when my lockups are normal), I log out and back in.
>> It seems to work great.
>>
>> You do make a point about the changes.  It seems that most of the
>> lockups are when I make quick changes to the applications.
>
>   it's interesting, isn't it?  the only time i see those lockups is
> when i'm in the middle of trying to do something quickly, as if the
> driver just can't keep up.  drag, open, close, ...  it's always
> associated with desktop activity.

I run into a similar thing under F10 on an AMD Phenom X4 system with
nVidia:

	MB: AsusTek M3N78-VM
	CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) 9850 Quad-Core
	Video: nVidia Corporation GeForce 8200
	Kernel: 2.6.27.24-170.2.68.fc10.x86_64
	nVidia blob: NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-180.29, VNC module loaded

The X session locks up (Gnome), keyboard dead, mouse dead.  An ssh from
another system shows X in a "D" state, so the only way out is a reboot
(it'd sure be nice if there was a way to kill a process in a D state but
there isn't).

It's damned annoying as that machine WAS going to become my primary
machine instead of the Athlon 64/X2.
-  Tempt not the dragons of fate, since thou art crunchy and taste   -
-                         good with ketchup.                         -