RCs for Everyone (was One (more) week slip of Fedora 11 Release)

Robert 'Bob' Jensen bob at fedoraunity.org
Tue Jun 2 03:57:28 UTC 2009

----- "Kevin Kofler" <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:

> Are you sure? I've read complaints about people unable to fetch the
> required
> files because by the time the .jigdo files get released, mirrors have
> already moved on to newer updates (and while I haven't tried
> downloading
> the respins myself, so I haven't directly experienced it, those
> complaints
> sound very valid to me, as mirrors don't keep old updates around).
> (For
> example, due to the lengthy QA, both F10 respins shipped with an
> already
> outdated KDE: you shipped 4.1.4 when 4.2.0 was already out as a
> stable
> update and you shipped 4.2.1 when 4.2.2 was already out as a stable
> update.) By the time people want to download the respins a few weeks
> later,
> mirrors have moved on even further. (For example, we're now at KDE
> 4.2.3
> and 4.2.4 is being built, the latest respin is still using 4.2.1.
> Many
> other updates on the respin have also been replaced by now.)
>
> By the way (somewhat, but not entirely, related), I also think the
> respins
> need to be coordinated better with KDE update pushes. Preparing a
> respin
> for QA when there's a KDE update sitting in testing scheduled to go
> stable
> by the time your QA is complete is the most effective way to produce
> an
> outdated respin, which will be basically useless for KDE users (as
> they'll
> have to upgrade all their KDE anyway, so why bother with the respin
> over
> the original GA ISOs?).

Kevin as you know people who do not read documentation always complain. Yes updates vanish off of Fedora Project's mirrors when a new update is pushed. Is this a feature or a bug? You decide, I feel it is a bug, but lets not drag this thread down that road to hell. To circumvent this potential issue we also mirror, without the "delete" options in rsync. This allows us to provide the updates that Fedora Project has thrown to the wind. When users disable the Fedora Unity failover mirrors they will encounter problems such as missing files, if they pay attention to documentation and IIRC comments in the jigdo files this is not an issue. When missing files are reported we take it very seriously and resolve the issues. The speed of our QA/Testing process fluctuates a lot, we have completed all tests in as fast as 2 days, but some have taken so long the Re-Spin died in the vine. Greater interaction with all packaging SIGs would be great but at the same time in the "active life" of a Fedora release if we wait a week for a KDE update, then we have to wait another 3 days for a kernel, followed by another 5 days for OOo, another week for the next KDE, rinse and repeat. However if the KDE sig would like greater input to when we spin I guess all I can suggest is for them to join us, help us with install tests. Give us the feedback of "hey hold on a few days."

- Bob

|       Robert 'Bob' Jensen        ||       Fedora Unity Founder       |
|       bob at fedoraunity.org        ||      http://fedoraunity.org/     |
|                   http://bjensen.fedorapeople.org/                   |
|                http://blogs.fedoraunity.org/bobjensen                |