RCs for Everyone (was One (more) week slip of Fedora 11 Release)

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Tue Jun 2 20:15:26 UTC 2009

Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> Bill Davidsen wrote:
>>
>> I get the impression that jigdo is out of favor for some reason
>
> My own personal opinion of jigdo is that I don't have much use for it
> outside of Fedora, so why should I familiarize myself with yet another
> tool? Bittorrent gets the job done.
>
> Since I don't keep RPMs on my local machine, isn't jigdo going to keep
> downloading full RPM sets anyway? I'd have to download from mirrors,
> which is costing mirror bandwidth.

Unless you throw away your previous ISO each time, of course you keep the RPMs,
they're part of the image. Pulling them off a DVD is still probably faster than
the net, unless you have a killer connection, and in any case it will be nicer
to the rest of the world.

> Jigdo seems to be a worse option over bittorrent.

I can't imagine any metric by which it would be faster to pull a whole
distribution than a few changes. If you choose to throw away everything any
start over each time, that's your problem, most people want to save time, and
pulling less over the net seems the answer.

Note: a jigdo which used multiple connections to pull RPMs would be great, but
what we have is getting the job done.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>