What's with bogofilter and spam

Mike Chambers mike at miketc.net
Thu Jun 4 10:05:26 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-06-04 at 20:01 +1000, Rodd Clarkson wrote:
> Recently bogofilter's spam sensing abilities seem to have gone all wrong
> in evolution.
>
> I was getting way too much span in the inbox (maybe 10% of my spam
> wasn't getting detected) and even though I was highlighting it and
> marking it as spam the same sorts of messages kept appearing.
>
> So I
>
> 1. Stopped evolution getting mail (using the offline icon)
> 2. deleted all my spam and emptied the trash
> 3. closed evolution (and ran evolution --force-shutdown).
> 4. moved ~/.bogofilter to ~/.bogofilter.orig
> 5. restarted evolution and went back online.
>
> For a while, bogofilter seemed to be doing a better job filtering spam
> (much less coming through to the inbox).
>
> However, having a look through the spam, I notice that all my
> fedore-(test|devel)-list email and a whole bunch of other email is
> getting filtered as spam.  I highlight these and mark and not spam.
>
> Now I'm back where I started.
>
> When I first started using bogofilter is needed a little training
> (including having put non-spam in the spam box) but after a couple of
> days it settled and was quite good (maybe 1% of spam got into my inbox
> and very rarely a message I wanted went to spam), so I'm not sure what's
> gone wrong.
>
> Are other noticing the same issues?
>
> I prefer bogofilter over spamassassin as the latter takes forever to
> filter through email, especially when you've been on holidays for a week
> and have to pull a couple of 1000 messages.

Experienced everything you did, to include the marking my Fedora
messages as spam as well.  Just doesn't seem bogofilter and/or evo is
not working together like they did in F10.

I thought I was the only one experiencing this.

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

Fedora Project - Bugzapper, Tester, User, etc..
miketc302 at fedoraproject.org