request for server(s) for F10 Final -> F11 Final deltaisos

Andre Robatino andre at bwh.harvard.edu
Thu Jun 4 18:46:09 UTC 2009

Is there someone out there with a _real_ file server (unlike the file
hosting service I've been using for the RCs, which deletes files that
haven't been downloaded in 15 days) who could host deltaisos for F10
Final -> F11 Final on release day?  Normally, disos for each of the 3
platforms would be about 50% of the full ISO size.  Due to the i586
package rebuild, the percentages for i386 and x86_64 should be more like
80% and 57%, resp., with ppc unaffected (I think), so it would only be
worthwhile to host these for x86_64 and ppc this time.  Depending on
whether there is an i686 rebuild for F12, it may be worthwhile to host
all three when F12 comes out.

I've considered bittorrent, and would be willing to create and seed a
torrent, though it would be nice for the torrent to live on something
official like torrents.fedoraproject.org.  But the disos are mostly
useful to people with slow connections, like 768/128 Kbits.  On such a
connection, it's still difficult to download the diso, and much harder
to seed to a ratio of 1.  So direct download is much preferred.

Generating the disos is trivial - make sure the deltarpm package is
installed, then see the makedeltaiso man page.  The syntax is

makedeltaiso oldiso newiso deltaiso

so all that's needed is to have the full F10 and F11 Final ISOs, then
let this command run for about 40 minutes to generate the deltaiso, then
put it on the server.  Jonathan Dieter already has an i386 Beta ->
Preview diso at

http://lesloueizeh.com/devel/i386/Fedora-11-Beta_Preview-i386-DVD.diso

but his server seem dedicated to i386 only, plus I don't know if his
bandwidth quota could handle the load.