Issues with the Live CD requirement for separate /boot

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Wed Jun 10 02:16:24 UTC 2009

On Wednesday, June 10 2009, Kevin Kofler said:
> Scott Robbins wrote:
> > Judging from the forums, the fact that the Live CD requires an ext3
> > /boot and ext4 / is catching a lot of people by surprise.
>
> Yeah. I had been lobbying for getting the ext4 GRUB built and tagged into
> F11, but the maintainer didn't care. It's too bad. :-( The patched GRUB
> would have actually made it into F11 if the maintainer had bothered.

The changes weren't ready and tested by the feature freeze and so
weren't present in the beta.  An exception for the critical code that is
the boot path wasn't really deemed safe enough, especially as it would
have also impacted things for users of an ext3 /boot[1].

Jeremy

[1] The grub filesystem code uses the same code for ext2, ext3, and ext4
with the patch.  Therefore the change would have impacted all of them
rather than just "adding ext4"