Issues with the Live CD requirement for separate /boot

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Wed Jun 10 10:09:16 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 02:07:47PM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 06/10/2009 08:34 AM, Scott Robbins wrote:
>

> > If you look at the project page and the Is Fedora for me section, I
> > think the general impression is that yes, it's for everyone.
>
> Really?
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Overview#Is_Fedora_for_me.3F

Yes, I've just reread it and I think so.

> I don't think everybody would say yes to those questions. It is open for
> feedback anyway. What would you like to add?

I very respectfully disagree there.  The page itself is (as it should)
putting the project's best foot forward.  (Also, it says, if you answer
to yes to "any" of these questions.)  :)

Perhaps a caveat like (written in a hurry, this should not be considered
actual text)

Fedora might not be for you if you need longterm (over one year)
stability, cannot risk sudden changes, or prefer absolute control to
convenience of predetermined dependencies and GUI configuration tools.

All of these things can be accomplished with Fedora too, but it may
require more effort than some of the more minimalistic distributions.

(In this case, I'm referring
to some of the relatively obscure, and occasionally unnecessary
dependencies).

In other words, some sort of gentle caveat.

> > So, let's say I disagree with the clarity of the document we have
> > mentioned, about the file systems.  I want to put, be careful if you
> > download the live CD, etc., etc.  I edit the notes.  Someone disagrees
> > and changes it back.  (Something similar happened with the thing about
> > ctl+alt+backspace with X.)
>
> As I have noted before, the wiki history doesn't show a edit from you.
> It must have been lost before the save somehow.

That particular case is not a major issue.  I've submitted patches to
FreeBSD's docs, where I felt it was only clear to programmers, that one
maintainer added and another took out, feeling it was spoon feeding.
:)  I simply mentioned it to demonstrate that I wasn't speaking entirely
hypothetically, and there may have quite possibly been good reasons for
my contribution's removal.

It was simply an example of why people might continue to put up their
own docs rather than work with Fedora's admittedly usually excellent
documentation.

Thanks as always, to you, Adam, and all the others who work with the
community to try to make the distribution, and its documentation better.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Spike: Death is your art. You make it with your hands day after
day. That final gasp, that look of peace. And part of you is
desperate to know: What's it like? Where does it lead you? And
now you see, that's the secret. Not the punch you didn't throw or
the kicks you didn't land. She really wanted it. Every Slayer has
a death wish. Even you.