Issues with the Live CD requirement for separate /boot

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Wed Jun 10 17:35:27 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 10:31:57PM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 06/10/2009 10:17 PM, Alan Milnes wrote:
>

> > LVM doesn't give the issues we are seeing today
>
> What sort of issues is that? If you want LVM and you want it without a
> separate /boot, the issue is similar to the one with Ext4.
>
> - most people giving
> > Fedora a go with the LiveCD won't have a separate boot partition.
>
> Disagree with that assertion. Most people using Live CD's will just use
> the default scheme which is to have a separate /boot partition and won't
> even notice anything. The people who care about their partition schemes
> and filesystems are the minority by far.

I don't think it's a matter of "most people."  The folks I was referring
to, in my original post about this, were what I call the drive by
folks--those who see mention on Distrowatch or Slashdot, and try it.

Hrrm, did the old live CD do LVM, and would it allow you to remove those
and use a single partition?  I was never much for the LiveCD's, so I
don't know.

I don't think it's bad that it's using ext4, I think a lot of people are
excited about trying it.  See our other discussions on the list about it
though.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Buffy: See, this is a school. And we have students and they check
out books and then they learn things.
Giles: I was beginning to suspect that was a myth.