Issues with the Live CD requirement for separate /boot

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jun 10 17:40:24 UTC 2009

On 06/10/2009 11:05 PM, Scott Robbins wrote:

> I don't think it's a matter of "most people."  The folks I was referring
> to, in my original post about this, were what I call the drive by
> folks--those who see mention on Distrowatch or Slashdot, and try it.

I wasn't replying to you but to Alan. The people who casually try out
releases are not necessarily going to read anything. Some of them will
get it directly from the torrent site or other mirrors and run into
these sort of issues. We can cover some of these by being upfront about
things but a lot of them just won't see it until they hit issues directly.

> Hrrm, did the old live CD do LVM, and would it allow you to remove those
> and use a single partition?  I was never much for the LiveCD's, so I
> don't know.

LVM is default for Fedora and if you are using LVM, you do need a
separate /boot partition.

> I don't think it's bad that it's using ext4, I think a lot of people are
> excited about trying it.  See our other discussions on the list about it
> though.

Yes, I think the advantages over-weigh the issues.

Rahul