Issues with the Live CD requirement for separate /boot

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jun 10 18:39:47 UTC 2009

Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 10:55:36 -0500
> Matthew Woehlke wrote:

Ahem. Please do not quote my e-mail address unobfuscated in message bodies.

>> Scott Robbins wrote:
>>> it has to boldly state--you CAN'T INSTALL THE LIVE CD ON ONE
>>> PARTITION.
>> You can't? Not even if you make / ext3 (or some other FS grub will
>> recognize)?
>
> No.
>
> The livecd installs by copying itself to your drive.
> It cannot modify the way it is, which is a ext4 / and a ext3 /boot.
> If you try and change either of those, anaconda will say no.

Has something changed? I /know/ I created a custom partition layout for
F10 (because I have / and /home, with no /boot *and no swap*), and I
know I did it from the KDE Live spin (which I still have on USB, being
the only easy way to get Fedora onto my Eee). I sure don't remember
creating that layout after the fact, I want to say I installed that way
straight off.

>> If not... I'm going to have to do a 'yum upgrade' on my asus, which
>> is going to be... painful.
>
> Try preupgrade?

Actually... I doubt I have the space for it (only 700 M free) :-).
Besides, yum upgrade will let me keep a closer eye on what additional
dependencies get sucked in. (With less than 3 G of space for the OS, I
care very much about keeping the rpm set as lean as possible. Even so
far as giving up kcalc so I can keep the monstrous foomatic off the system.)

>> (Btw, is ext4 considered "safe" for SSD's? I've so far been using
>> ext2 to avoid the journaling...)
>
> Yes, I think so.

Hmm... well, not sure if I'll try it. I'd be a bit paranoid about /home
getting nuked if I have to split / (though, in fairness, there is so
little actually on the SSD that it would be trivial to back everything
up first).

--
Matthew
"For UNIX thou art, and to UNIX thou shalt return"