Issues with the Live CD requirement for separate /boot

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jun 10 22:28:05 UTC 2009

Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> Matthew Woehlke <whatever> wrote:
>> Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>>> On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 10:55:36 -0500
>>> Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> Ahem. Please do not quote my e-mail address unobfuscated in message
>> bodies.
>
> Then perhaps you shouldn't post to a public mailing list?
> What possible advantage to me obfuscating your email address is there?

Having it not show up in so bloody many places for spammers to harvest?
(Yes I know the effectiveness of this is disputed, but it can't hurt,
and you can still omit my address out of simple politeness because I ask
everyone to do so.) Not wasting bytes?

Also... it has the advantage that I will continue to reply to you :-).
Yes, I really do often decide not to reply to people simply because they
leave e-mail addresses littered about.

>> Has something changed? I /know/ I created a custom partition layout
>> for F10 (because I have / and /home, with no /boot *and no swap*),
>> and I know I did it from the KDE Live spin (which I still have on
>> USB, being the only easy way to get Fedora onto my Eee). I sure don't
>> remember creating that layout after the fact, I want to say I
>> installed that way straight off.
>
> Yeah, it was a happy accident. Both / and /boot were ext3, and thus you
> could have it install them both in /
>
> On f11, / is ext4 and boot is ext3, so you can't combine them and have
> it install in the right place.

Okay, I think I get it. It works iff you set up a partitioning scheme
such that the FS type is the same as what is on the Live CD? (It does
seem like I remember having to hit F10 over the head to tell it to use
ext2 and not ext3...)

Well... no live install for me then :-). But I can live with that. (I
also won't separate / and /boot because I don't have the disk space to
afford /boot taking a significant % of it.)

At least I need the live image for other reasons, so it's not like the
download was a waste. (Updating my USB stick, for one...)

>>> Try preupgrade?
>> Actually... I doubt I have the space for it (only 700 M free) :-).
>
> :(

Yeah, I know. It's not too horrible, having only 4 G is usually fine as
long as I am frugal (no foomatic, no xulrunner...), but it also is sad
that AFAIK the built-in SSD is not replaceable. At least that's what I
heard (also see below).

>> [stuff about ext4]
> I have been using it here on a eee900a just fine.
> Of course no idea how it's affecting life of the SSD.

:-)
(Besides, I don't think you "know" until it fails, yes? Or is there a
tool to track SSD wear I am not familiar with?)

> I'm not too worried since the ssd is so old/slow that if it dies I can
> justify replacing it. ;)

Yeah, I'm starting to feel that way also, especially given that 32 G
SSD's are more common these days. Um... isn't the 900a (which I also
have) the SSD-is-soldered-onto-the-mobo model, though? Or do you just
replace the whole machine? ;-)

--
Matthew
"For UNIX thou art, and to UNIX thou shalt return"