Trying to slim down my installation

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Thu Jun 11 08:26:28 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 11:14:20PM -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 06:52:43 -0700,
>   Steven I Usdansky <usdanskys at rocketmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > At 79 MB, libgweather is one of the larger packages I have installed.
> > Now, I think, "I really don't need libgweather, I'll just remove it".
>
> If you find a way to make that package optional (while keeping most of the
> desktop), that would please a few live image maintainers.

One way to _hack_ around the issue is to provide a package (I was
calling it 'fake' when using something like that) which has no
binaries in it and just needed 'Provides:' with versions high enough
to prevent updates.  All you need is a spec file and sources which
will supply a directory with nothing it to satisfy 'rpmbuild'.

If you want later "the real thing" then you need 'rpm -e --nodeps fake'
and run 'yum update' after that.

   Michal