gpk-application (and probably yum) updates

Nikolay Vladimirov nikolay at vladimiroff.com
Tue Jun 16 15:40:37 UTC 2009

2009/6/16 cornel panceac <cpanceac at gmail.com>

> there was about a week without updates for my f11 systems. so i have the
> opportunity to enjoy some gpk-application (and yum) "feature". that is, just
> to check if there are any updates, these applications have to download
> several megs of info from the repos. so i was wondering why can't the
> availability of updates  be checked by comparing the date of changelogs
> (like 13 june is bigger than 12 june) . this way, to see if there are any
> updates, we would have to download just one text file for each repo,
> containing a date/time stamp. this would be of great benefit for slow
> connection users.

Actually there is a small meta file(repomd.xml) that tells if the repo was
updated or not. If the repo was updated the whole primary.xml is downloaded.
And crosschecked with your installed packages for updates. And if there are
any matches then you have an update notificaton.

If I'm not mistaken this is how basicly yum works(i may be wrong)

If you just consider the timestamp and notify that there are updates if it
changed. Then you have to go trough "Do you want to check if some of your
installed packages were updated?" And most probably you'll get "Sorry, no
updates yet" (unless you installed every single fedora parckage) . This
creates pointless clicking and waste of time.

--
NV