In Blighty

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 00:16:40 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 5:58 PM, Adam Williamson<awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-06-21 at 15:20 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
>> What ho, chaps - just dashing off a little missive to inform the list
>> that I shall be in jolly old England from tomorrow until July 14th. I
>> shall still be around and working as normal most of that time, but
>> obviously keeping slightly different hours.
>>
>> Tally ho!
>
> To do a quick round-up of everyone's jokes: my dirty secret is that I
> am, in fact, English. Recoil in horror all you like, it's true - I only
> moved to Canada in 2004.
>
> Even more frighteningly, I did my degree at an institution where there
> actually are still people who talk like that. Unironically. Not many of
> them any more, but still!

Several of my closest relatives speak like that also. At least one
uncle never found Jon Cleese's gentlemen funny... bad show (or such
thing).

> I don't drive, and there's sod all to do at Land's End or John o'
> Groats, so that one's out. I am going to Wales tomorrow, though.
>
> I have once celebrated St. George's Day. On a boat, on a river, with a
> large quantity of beer involved. I have a picture of the son of a rather
> famous author, in said boat, after consuming a significant proportion of
> said beer, waving the flag of St. George and looking mighty heroic. And
> the boat didn't even capsize. Ah, that one was fun.

But the big question is that while you were on the River, did you meet
a Rat, a Mole, and a Toad? If so they owe me a dinner of bangers and
mash.

> I'm in Manchester now ("there's a high pressure system coming through,
> so there's a chance of showers," said the flight attendant as we were
> landing - this is Manchester, I thought, there's never not a chance of
> showers. There's a chance of showers when you're _indoors_), and heading
> to Wales for a couple of days tomorrow. I'll try and make it to the
> BugZappers and QA meetings, but please don't hate me too much if I
> don't :)

Have a good trip.

> --
> Adam Williamson
> Fedora QA Community Monkey
> IRC: adamw | Fedora Talk: adamwill AT fedoraproject DOT org
> http://www.happyassassin.net
>
> --

Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux