rawhide useablity

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Jun 23 23:24:13 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-06-23 at 14:34 -0700, Rob Healey wrote:
> Greetings all, but I am hoping for a response from either Rahul
> Sandaran or Jesse Keating!
>
> Is rawhide usable right now as it sits?  I love to use the rawhide
> version because I love to be on bleeding edge of software and new
> features, but if I can't do anything???

to give a practical answer to a practical question, there are I think
several issues which combine to make it a bit fucked right now (though
I'm away from home so I can't attest personally, this system's on F11).
At least two people have reported that policykit is throwing a bit of a
bender in recent rawhide, which makes anything it controls probably
broken, and I've also seen reports of permission issues on /dev that
result in at least sound and possibly other things not working right. I
also saw a post on -devel-list which suggests that x86-64 builds didn't
make it to rawhide for the last daily compose, which could be
problematic. Now may not be the best time to jump in.

Rahul's reply gives you very sound and sensible advice which you should
follow. Personally, though, I have Rawhide installed and updated daily
on my main work system, because I'm a gigantic fool. (I'm also the kind
of guy who does strict regular backups of his mail server...every
year...)

neither my main work system nor my mail server have broken down
irretrievably and left me weeping tears of frustration and self-loathing
yet, but that doesn't mean a) i'm not an idiot or b) they won't do so in
future. So listen to Rahul, not me. :)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey