rawhide useablity

birger birger at birger.sh
Wed Jun 24 06:07:42 UTC 2009

Greetings all

I am quite new to this list, although I am a long time Linux admin (and
even longer time Unix admin).

On Wed, 2009-06-24 at 00:24 +0100, Adam Williamson wrote:
> I also saw a post on -devel-list which suggests that x86-64 builds didn't
> make it to rawhide for the last daily compose, which could be
> problematic. Now may not be the best time to jump in.

I can only verify this. At the moment yum wants to update most of my
system to .i586 packages which luckily fails big time because of
dependency conflicts.

> Rahul's reply gives you very sound and sensible advice which you should
> follow. Personally, though, I have Rawhide installed and updated daily
> on my main work system, because I'm a gigantic fool. (I'm also the kind
> of guy who does strict regular backups of his mail server...every
> year...)

:-D I work in a windows-dominated environment. We have just rolled out
new PC's to everyone (switching from XP to Vista) while also enforcing a
new rule; only one PC for each employee. Meaning you get either a
desktop PC or a laptop. So my laptop is also my main work desktop. And
in this windows-centric anvironment using OCS, exchange, Sharepoint and
so on my laptop runs Fedora. And not only Fedora, it runs Rawhide. And
not only rawhide. You may guess it... I run x86_64. Asking for trouble?
Oh, yes. Getting it? Oh, yes! Loving it? Oh, yes!!! I feel like a
giraffe, sticking my neck that far out.

By the way... At the present my system needs to reboot quite often
(reminds me of windows, actually), so I really love the new boot
optimisations combined with SSD. From grub starts it's less than 10
seconds until the graphical login is ready. I assume these instabilities
will go away as soon as gcc is debugged and everything rebuilt. Well...
At least some of them.

> neither my main work system nor my mail server have broken down
> irretrievably and left me weeping tears of frustration and self-loathing
> yet, but that doesn't mean a) i'm not an idiot or b) they won't do so in
> future. So listen to Rahul, not me. :)

I don't listen to anybody! :-D Not even to myself!