2009-06-24 - Fedora QA meeting Recap ([[Xorg/Debugging]])

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Jun 26 10:03:54 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-06-25 at 21:39 -0400, Christopher Beland wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-06-25 at 23:06 +0200, François Cami wrote:
> > Could you guys please have a look and bring some clarity ?
>
> I did some stylistic cleanup...a few questions I think novice bug
> reporters might have:
>
> * What is the advice for Fedora 10 users, upgrade to F11 and retry?  Try
> a F11 or Rawhide LiveCD/USB?

This is a more general thing which should probably be addressed on the
parent page (I'll check if it is already, and add something if not). I
think we should say something along the lines that it's fine to file
reports on any supported release, but if you're running an older
supported release and you have no particular attachment to it, you may
want to try a newer release to see if it fixes your issue. (Note that
it's best to phrase things in a general way like this, in this case,
rather than referring to specific releases, because if you refer to
specific releases you have to go back and edit it each time a new one
comes out).

> * How do I tell if I have "KMS problems" or "OpenGL/Mesa problems"?
>
> * How do I tell which applications use OpenGL?
>
> * I assume if you are using OpenGL, you'll always have the command
> "glxinfo" installed?  If not, readers would need to know how to install
> it.

I've made a big revision to the page to hopefully address all of those,
and a few others, and add some more rigor and consistency. It now has a
section on identifying issues and a section on what information to
include, and I added a few other misc things (including a note about not
filing reports on nvidia or fglrx issues). Following the theme above
about not mentioning specific releases, I changed the common bugs link
to go to the page Bugs/Common, which uses a neat mediawiki trick to
always show you the _current_ common bugs page.

I think we may need a generic page on adding kernel parameters, if there
isn't one already. I'll try and write one later.

> Other than that, the page looks quite understandable.

I hope I didn't make it worse :)

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey