Aspire one and latest kernels

Kyle McMartin kyle at mcmartin.ca
Mon Mar 2 00:20:18 UTC 2009

On Sun, Mar 01, 2009 at 06:57:45PM -0500, Scott Robbins wrote:
> As my AA1 is going to my wife in a day or so, I won't be able to follow
> up on this.
>
> However, I'm finding the following.
> The ISO installation kernel works without problems.
>
> However, each upgraded kernel tends to kernel panic 3 times out of every
> five. (That's an estimate.)  Restarting a few times usually enables me
> to boot.
>
> As I won't be able to follow this up with a bug report, (getting an ASUS
> eee 1000HE in a few days--Whoopie!!!), I realize this is completely
> unhelpful.  So, I'm just wondering if other Aspire One users have
> experienced anything similar.

Is this i586? It seems a lot worse off than PAE for some reason. In case
case, it seems to be one of the kernel debugging options that are pwning
things. I'm trying to sort out which one and what's broken, but that
will take a while. If you'd like to try the latest rawhide with
debugging off, try this kernel (kernel-firmware from koji would be
fine.)

http://kyle.fedorapeople.org/rawhide/nodebug/kernel-2.6.29-0.176.rc6.git5.fc10.i586.rpm

regards, Kyle