"yum update" on f11 alpha generates numerous MD5 mismatches

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Mon Mar 2 13:51:09 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 07:36:45AM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   trying to do a "yum update" on a recently-installed f11 alpha
> system, the rpms downloaded, the transaction test appears to have
> passed, but almost every single package is complaining about a cpio
> MD5 sum mismatch.  should i have expected this?

Yes, except that as far as I know, the only place it's been mentioned is
here.  (See my suggestion, powers that be, that it would save a lot of
trouble for people to put a mention by the place where people are
directed to download).

You *might* by now, be able to fix this by just doing, before running
yum update

yum upgrade rpm

I don't know if it's been fixed to that point yet.

If not.

yum install yum-downloadonly

This will work.

yum --downloadonly install db4-utils

This will download db4-utils and possibly some dependencies and exit
after downloading.

Go to /var/cache/yum/rawhide packages and install db4-utils with

rpm -Uvh db4-utils

This should also work.

At this point, you can grab the tarball I put up--the stuff is also, as
far as I know, still at koji, but in case it isn't.

wget http://www.scottro.net/rpms.tar.bz2

Once it's downloaded

tar jxvf rpms.tar.bz2

cd rpms
rpm -Uvh *rpm

After that, yum update should work.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Xander: So, we Bronzin' it tonight?
Willow: Wednesdays, kinda beat...
Xander: Well, we could grind our enemies into talcum powder with
a sledgehammer, but, gosh, we did that last night.