"yum update" on f11 alpha generates numerous MD5 mismatches

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Mon Mar 2 14:10:15 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 08:57:41AM -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-03-02 at 08:51 -0500, Scott Robbins wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 07:36:45AM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> > Yes, except that as far as I know, the only place it's been mentioned is
> > here.  (See my suggestion, powers that be, that it would save a lot of
> > trouble for people to put a mention by the place where people are
> > directed to download).

> > You *might* by now, be able to fix this by just doing, before running
> > yum update
> >
> > yum upgrade rpm

<the rest of my post snipped>

> You can just run:
> yum update rpm\*
>
> -sv

Yes, but not having done a fresh install install since I fixed the issue
the longer way, I wasn't sure that would work for the OP.

Note that I suggested trying that first.  :)

I repeat, it would save many people a great deal of trouble if a mention
of this is put somewhere near the alpha downloads.  As it is, I suspect
we'll get many posts like this, because what people tend to do,
especially with some experience, is grab the ISO, install and then run
yum update or upgrade.

Even those on the list probably don't read every post, so can't really
be expected to know about this.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Willow: I knew it! I knew it! Well, not in the sense of having
the slightest idea, but I knew there was something I didn't know.