Updating release notes with "yum update" workaround

Christopher Beland beland at alum.mit.edu
Mon Mar 2 17:46:21 UTC 2009

I added the following to the Fedora 11 Alpha Release Notes, since this
is just a wiki page and all installers should read them:

== Known Issues ==

Due to changes in MD5 checksums, "yum update" will fail.  To fix this:

* yum update rpm
* yum update

<<

Can anyone verify that this actually works?  I have not experienced this
problem.  The more complicated methods I have seen come across the list
were (I think) what's below, but if they are no longer necessary or
accurate the above is very clean.

--Beland

1.)

* yum install yum-downloadonly
* yum --downloadonly install rpm
* yum update

2.)

"Make sure db4-utils is installed. (That one went smoothly with yum.)
Get rpm-4.6.0-8 as well as rpm-libs and rpm-python from koji.  (Or, one
could probably do it by installing the yum-downloadonly plugin then
doing yum --downloadonly install rpm, which should pull in the others,
as well as bash and company.

Then, assuming db4-utils is installed, get the rpm-libs rpm-python and
rpm in one directory.  Then rpm -Uvh *rpm"

<<